Saturday, January 12, 2013

"real" Mexican tacos, minus the meat!

I wanted to start out my new blog with one of my most favorite meals I make. This has won over vegetarians and meat lovers alike! Living in Central California, I have the benefit of being around real, authentic Mexican food. However, it's not too vegetarian-friendly, so I've had to come up with some adjustments to make this meal meat-free. I love using whole pinto beans since they still have texture and bite to them so you're not missing the carne asada or chicken.

Ingredients:

• fresh corn tortillas (I like Guerrero brand because they don't contain lard)
• whole canned pinto beans
• fresh deli salsa
• fresh ripe avocado
• fresh cilantro (coarsely chopped)
• cotija cheese (I prefer El Mexicano brand)
• lime for garnish
• black or refried beans as a side dish

Heat the tortillas in a pan or directly over a gas burner. I like to double the tortillas up, two per taco, to keep everything inside. Scoop pinto beans into the taco, then top with salsa, sliced avocado, cilantro and grated cheese. Squeeze fresh lime juice over the tacos. Serve immediately.


1 comment: