Saturday, January 12, 2013

chunky blue cheese dressing

There's nothing I love more than making a perfectly healthy salad fattening and delicious! I recently discovered this Food Network recipe for homemade blue cheese dressing, and it was all downhill from there. It's full of rich, delicious blue cheese, tangy buttermilk, sour cream… what's not to love? Clearly, losing weight is not one of my New Year's resolutions!

However, if it is one of yours, feel free to use low fat sour cream in this recipe, as well as reduced-fat blue cheese. I personally prefer the full-fat versions (all things in moderation, right?). This is an excellent lunch or appetizer.



Here is the link to the actual Food Network recipe if you'd like to follow it. I prefer to eyeball things, taste them as I go and then revise along the way.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/salad-with-blue-cheese-dressing-recipe/index.html

Ingredients:

• buttermilk
• sour cream (low fat if desired)
• crumbled blue cheese (reduced fat if desired)
• fresh lemon juice
• dash of hot sauce (I prefer Tapatío)
• salt and pepper to taste

I like to make a large batch, so what I've been doing is adding about a half a cup of buttermilk, a few tablespoons of sour cream, and dump about a quarter of a tub of crumbled blue cheese into my Pyrex measuring cup. I stir and taste as I go, adding more lemon juice than the original recipe calls for. I love the tart, sour tang of it, and the little kick that the hot sauce adds.

A really important part of cooking is tasting the food you're making to make sure it's properly seasoned. Everyone's tastes are different so feel free to add more or less of a particular item. Who knows, you may just create a whole new recipe!

I love serving this over fresh red-leaf or Lollo Rosso lettuce. It would also be good over romaine or green leaf salad, or even mixed baby greens.

I am playing with the idea of making this with gorgonzola as well. Vegan bacon crumbled over the top of it would also be fantastic!

No comments:

Post a Comment